Application Fees2024-05-24T08:39:03+00:00

Court Application Fees

If you intend to make an application to the County Court, you will have to pay the applicable fees. It can be confusing as to which fee you have to pay because the Court uses the same application form for a number of purposes.

Application Fees

How can we help? Request a callback

DD slash MM slash YYYY

We will only use your data in response to your enquiry

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

How to Stop Repossession

Make sure you talk to your lender

1. Don’t take emergency finance

Other companies may have misled you into believing that a bridging loan or short-term finance is your best or even only choice. That’s not true. The temporary relief will be short-lived when you are facing repossession for a much higher sum.

Try not panic and stay calm

2. Don’t accept a quick sale

In desperate situations, you may be tempted to accept a below-market-value “instant cash” offer on your home. Avoid quick sale companies at all costs—they profit from your misfortune. We can provide better options.

 Review household expenditure

3. Get us to help

We can help you navigate through your options. We will force your lender to give you time to make a decision that suits you. Our first step is to assess affordability for you to keep the property long-term. If this is not an option, then we will ensure you speak to regulated finance professionals or have time to sell your property on the open market.

Application Fees payable by the Defendant (Homeowner)

The fee depends at what stage your case is and what you are trying to achieve by making the application. The main application that we have to submit when we are preventing a Homeowner losing their home is an N244 Application. However, this form serves many different applications that can be made to the Court.

N244 & N161 Forms Application Fees

To defend an eviction order:
£15 (N244 application notice)

To vary or set aside an order that’s already in place:
£255 (N244 application notice)

To Appeal a Judge’s decision:
£255 (N161)

Paperwork Stress

Defending an eviction order

When submitting the N244 form to suspend or stop an eviction order where a warrant has been applied for and received by the Court, the fee is currently £15. This is paid to the Court on submission of the application and is not refundable if your application is refused, or you lose your hearing.

It is very important that you know your defence BEFORE you make your application. You need to be sure that the defence gives sufficient legal grounds for you to win. Having nowhere to live or having disabled or elderly people on the property, or claiming you need more time is not going to be enough.

If you want to establish the right defence, call us on 0800 298 0571, and we will make sure you get it right the first time. Making a second application is not likely to be successful.

Do I need permission to make an application?

We stop repossession action on some very difficult cases that have an extensive history with the Court. Some cases have been in the Court system for 12 years and where there have been a number of hearings, the Judge may impose certain restrictions. The Judge can insist that the case is only heard by a specific Judge, or that you must seek permission from the Court in order to make your application.

If such a stipulation has been made against your possession claim, it is more difficult to make the application, because the application must first seek permission from the Court, where a Judge must agree to accept the application, and if accepted, the application has to be submitted. Some Courts will charge the £15 application fee for both parts; seeking permission to apply, and if granted, accepting the application to suspend the eviction.

Not all Courts charge £28, but it is entirely up to the individual Court as to how they process the application. If you are not sure about any single aspect of your application, you need to call us on 0800 298 0571 so we can advise you specifically and make sure you do not make your own case fail at the first hearing.

What if I do not have an Eviction Notice?

In some circumstances, the Court may have made an order that the Homeowner is not satisfied with and they wish to set aside the order or vary the order, the fee is significantly higher at £255.

An application of this nature is more detailed, and the hearing is typically longer as you are asking the Court to change an order that has already been put in place. An example of an application would be to amend the amount the Homeowner pays towards the arrears every month.

In other circumstances, a Homeowner might have missed their Court hearing or defended the case poorly and an outright possession order has been awarded.
You can make an application using the same N244 form, however, the hearing will not be set as quickly, hearings may not be set for months, during which time you are still under pressure from your Mortgage Lender.

Importantly, simply because you have made an application, it does not mean that your lender cannot apply for eviction. Your eviction date could come through before your application is heard, and you must make a second emergency application as described above. In cases where this has happened, the Court has refunded the £255 and accepted the £15 application instead.

We are specialists in this field and can advise you on what application you need to make and when.

Does My Mortgage Lender (Claimant) pay Court fees?

Many Homeowners underestimate the fees it costs to process a repossession and proceed through to eviction. What Homeowners further do not realise until they get an account breakdown is that the fees are added to your mortgage account.

Here is a breakdown of some of the Court fees that will be added to your mortgage. This does not include Your Mortgage Lender or loan companies’ legal and solicitors’ fees which will be significantly higher.

Possession Claims Online


Claim for recovery of land through Possession Claim Online


Warrant of Possession / Warrant of Delivery

£110 county only

Warrant of Execution

£110 county only

Reissue Warrants of Execution, Delivery or Possession



Do I Have to pay Court fees?

The vast majority of our clients have to pay the Court fees and they are payable directly to the Court.

You will not have to pay a Court fee if:

  1. You are on Income Support, or
  2. Working Tax Credit, (but not also receiving Child Tax Credit), or
  3. Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, or
  4. Pension Credit guarantee credit under the State Pension Credit Act 2002, or
  5. Income-related Employment and Support Allowance,

You must complete the Court form “Ex160”, which is available from the Court. The submission of these forms often causes an unnecessary delay in urgent cases and the importance of saving your home far outweighs the cost of £15 for the application.

What People Say

Google Graphic
  • I contacted HMS to stop my repossession by my mortgage lender. David at HMS worked with me closely and supported me through the whole process. Today I had a Court... read more

    Matt Stokes Avatar Matt Stokes

    Richard gave us more than we hoped for as we had an expired mortgage term and worried about the looming repossession. We just didn’t know what to do... read more

    Dave Hatch Avatar Dave Hatch

    I contacted David at HMS for advice with my BTL rental who showed they have vast experience and contacts around the property sector. HMS quickly resolved any issues i had.... read more

    Kevin Perry Avatar Kevin Perry

    I will do my best to express how thrilled I am with how Richard handled my case! I had a ridiculously small debt threatening repossession and some free advice from... read more

    Queen Mary Avatar Queen Mary
  • I had some legal issues regarding a property and I googled a solicitor and rang this company which is a family business and spoke to the son of the father... read more

    Kelvin Baines Avatar Kelvin Baines

    A big thanks to HMS, Your professional advice and guidance stopped the repossession of my property. I received an eviction notice from my mortgage provider and didn’t know what to... read more

    Andy Miah Avatar Andy Miah

    I am going to write this about this company Richard and Ben before all this happen with my house I was going through a difficult times I buried my head... read more

    Maria Cardoso Avatar Maria Cardoso

    Richard and his team are extremely knowledgeable, professional and very, very helpful. I cannot recommend them highly enough. They helped me to quickly resolve a legal dispute over a... read more

    Donald Scott Avatar Donald Scott
  • Excellent knowledge of the repossession process, this gave me the confidence to proceed and resolve the situation. Would definitely recommend! Customer service was 10/10 too I was quickly reassured and... read more

    Diane Wilson Avatar Diane Wilson

    Spoke to Richard after being told a notice of eviction is on its way. Almost immediately, my anxiety and panic reduced significantly by listening to what had to say. Treated... read more

    Guitar Dummy Avatar Guitar Dummy

    David was professional, knowledgeable and insightful throughout the process. Would definitely recommend to get in touch. Great guy.

    S P Avatar S P

    Amazing and helpful service - David negotiated a solution with the Lender and all resolved with all parties very satisfied

    Justin O'Neill Avatar Justin O'Neill
  • These guys reached out to me and, by giving me good advice, helped to ease my worries at a very vulnerable time. I would not hesitate to use them if... read more

    Julie dowling Avatar Julie dowling

    Great team Richard amazing did all he could possibly do I was a very difficult case - if you want cherry on top look no further best of breed

    Ricky Bonner Avatar Ricky Bonner

    Just to add it was q very professional and clear advice from Richard of Homeowner management regarding my issues With an excellent feedback and assistance in every way Thank you... read more

    Robin Koovapalille Avatar Robin Koovapalille

    Well here I am after my first decent nights sleep in I dont know how long. 😊 This was only possible because of the support and guidance I received from... read more

    Natalie Scott Avatar Natalie Scott
  • I spoke to David for advice regarding a matter for my mum. David was very helpful and reassuring. The advice given was followed and the matter has now been resolved.... read more

    Waseem Jugon Avatar Waseem Jugon

    So very grateful for information given ,so knowledgeable, Answered so many questions and concerns .Thank you

    Angela Aitken - Smet Avatar Angela Aitken - Smet

    Richard was very helpful Excellent knowledge on subject matter Anyone looking for sound advice,use this company first

    Stephen Parkyn Avatar Stephen Parkyn

    Absolute legends Richard and Ben are!!!. My knight's in shining armour. They are extremely informative and true to there word. They dealt with my issue very effectively and... read more

    Sadia Nazir Avatar Sadia Nazir
  • David was very professional in the advice given, listening and asking questions to understand my situation. There was no hard sell to benefit from the situation I am in. 1)... read more

    Craig Smith Avatar Craig Smith

    Great service and David was very helpful. Easy to talk to and made sure I was ok all the time he was helping me. After everywhere finally finished ... read more

    Catherine Dyke (Cat) Avatar Catherine Dyke (Cat)

    Can't recommend HMS highly enough - Richard was amazing, so knowledgeable, helpful and reassuring - honestly don't know how we would have managed without his advice!

    Peter Blunden Avatar Peter Blunden

    I was in the worst possible situation, and felt completely hopeless. I contacted HMS and Richard Harrison took on my case. Straight talking and no messing about; he literally saved... read more

    Helen Kent Avatar Helen Kent

Latest News

Go to Top